~TOUR CAMDEN'S STREETS~

Here you will find a sampling of Camden's historic architecture. Our slide shows below provide a virtual walking tour of notable stops along Main Street and Camden-Wyoming Avenue.

Homes of South Main Street

(Walking South from Camden-Wyoming Ave)

  • Read More About 14 S. Main St., "James Mc Clyment House"

                In 1787 Daniel Mifflin sold James McClyment a tract of land approximately ten acres in size at the southwest corner of Mifflin’s Crossroads (Camden).  Today the “crossroads” is known as the Camden-Wyoming Avenue and Main Street intersection.

                A house (14 South Main Street) that had been built circa 1780 on the property possibly by Daniel Mifflin was conveyed along with the ten acre plot.  Records show that James McClyment and his family took up residence in this house.

                As the National Register of Historic Places Inventory states, “The house is a five bay, two-and-one-half story brick Georgian structure with a  smaller side wing joined on axis to the south. The Flemish bond façade features a brick belt course and a modillion block cornice.” The Register went on to describe this house as “this most pretentious of eighteenth-century Camden dwellings.”

                An inventory of the house contents made in 1802 after the death of McClyment  names an impressive array of furniture such as mahogany card tables, walnut desk, dining table and chest of drawers along with a closet full of glass, china, and silver worth just under a thousand dollars.

Homes of North Main Street

(Walking North from Camden-Wyoming Ave)

  • Read More About 15 N. Main St., "The Cooper House"

     The Cooper House (1782 Georgian home )

     

    Listed on the “National Register of Historic Places” and known locally as the Cooper House, this Georgian-style home is one of the oldest in the town of Camden.  This four bay hall and parlor brick home has interior paneling considered an outstanding example of local artisans.

     

    Built by Absalom Gibbs, a free African American, for Jabez  Jenkins in 1782. The house is known to have been a safe haven for runaway slaves in the mid 1800’s as part of the Underground Railroad, to help slaves escaping to freedom in the north.  There is an attic over the still existing summer kitchen, where slaves were reportedly hidden until they could continue their escape.

Homes of Camden-Wyoming Ave.

(Walking East)

© Friends of Historic Camden 2015, all rights reserved

Photos courtesy of Richard Maly and Rebecca Gibbs